Wednesday 23 March 2011

A couple of researches...

It's been more than a year now that I started to look into Multitouch technologies. I was indeed very keen on getting to know more about it, and could'nt wait to start building my own table. Of course, like almost everyone, I wanted it to be able to do everything : blob recognition, object tracking, fiducial tracking... But that was getting more and more complicated.

I joined the nuigroup.com community (the main reference for everything about MT technologies) and spend a lot of dozains of hours (really) reading threads and posts.

As quite a lot of people did, I chose to start with a "simple" technique : the LLP (Laser Light Plane) or the Rear DI (Diffused Illumination). I was almost sure that a too long / difficult way would have me dropping the projet half finished.

But as I wanted my change my coffee table into a multitouch one, it appeared that Rear DI was only compliant with the projection mode (using a projector) and that that implied the table to be quite big, even using a mirror. As I wanted to use a LCD screen, the LLP was then the way to go for my first table!





LLP chart from Seth Sandler


LLP has quite a lot of pros (taken from nuigroup.com) :
  • No compliant surface (silicone) needed
  • Can use any transparent material like glass (not just acrylic)
  • No LED frame required
  • An enclosed box is not required
  • Simple setup
  • Could be slightly cheaper than other technique

But of course it's not perfect, and the cons are quite rubbish :
  • Cannot track traditional objects and fiducials 
  • Not truly pressure sensitive (since light intensity doesn’t change with pressure).
  • Can cause occlusion if only using 1 or 2 lasers where light hitting one finger blocks another finger from receiving light.



And I was ready to start looking for some parts...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u.
    Laser Line Generators

    ReplyDelete